Plastic Free July at the Shop
Plastic Free July® is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution – so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and beautiful communities. (For more info on the global movement, check out plasticfreejuly.org)
June 26th: Unofficial Kickoff
- Community Cleanup around Ferndale, 10am meet at the shop.
Ongoing: Plastic-Free Bingo:
- Take a picture & digitally mark off each task you complete (or print off and mark).
- When you have a Bingo, either share on social media & tag us, or bring into the shop - you're now entered for the weekly drawing.
- Saturday mornings (July 9, 16, 23) we will draw a weekly prize winner! Weekly prizes will vary, and you'll need to pick up in the shop.
- Every entry will also enter you into the Grand Prize drawing on July 30th for a $50 gift certificate to Walking Lightly.
Sunday July 10th 10am: Belle Isle Cleanup
Join us as we head to Belle Isle for a beach cleanup with artist, environmentalist & Great Lakes advocate, Hannah Tizedes of The Trashy Collection. Bring your own gloves (we'll have some compostable ones, but thick gardening gloves are best), and we'll provide bags and buckets.
Saturday July 16th 12pm-3pm: Refills & Kitties
Detroit Community Cat Rescue will have branded jars for sale, and a portion of logo refills will go to this wonderful organization. And a few adoptable cats will be along for meet & greet!
Saturday July 9th 12-3pm: Salonvironment Recycling drop-off
- Check out the website here to see what is accepted for recycling. This is a free event, so be sure to take advantage!
Sunday July 31st 12-3pm: Reproductive Access Fundraiser
- 15% of sales will be donated to Gamp Camp (local organization providing escorts at local abortion clinics to keep patients feeling supported and free from harassment) and Midwest Access Coalition (helps people traveling to, from, and within the Midwest access a safe, legal abortion with support in the following areas: travel coordination and costs, lodging, food, medicine, and emotional support). Gamp Camp volunteers will be at the shop providing information for those who would like to get involved!